Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Do I have to wait Months to Seal my NEW Pressure-treated wood fence or deck before Sealing or Staining it? NO!

 

Southern Home Wood Deck, House Pressure Washing, Wood Deck Cleaning and Water Seal, Fence Cleaning and Water Sealing and Stain in Richmond, Virginia

www.southernhomedeck.com

Hello, my name is Joseph Sowell. I have been cleaning and sealing wooden decks and fences in Richmond, Va since 1987. In my years I have cleaned and stained nearly 10,000 Decks and Fences. 

I always hear the same question, "What is the best product that I can use on my new wood deck or fence? That is a very interesting question because there are many different influences that can cause new wood and its appearance to become challenged over time. Finding the best value for your money and knowing what exactly to expect from a sealant or stain is what anyone wants to know. I have the knowledge to shed light on these important questions.

New wood- should I wait for three months to let the wood dry out? Lumber sits in the Lumber-yard after it has left the mill and it has been soaked in a chemical that keeps the wood from being eaten by ants and other insects. That chemical is put in a giant chemical bath and with pressure, the mixture is infused into the new wood. Hence, the name, "Pressure-treated wood".
After leaving the Lumber-yard, it is moved to a local seller of the product- Lowes, Home Depot, Siewers- a variety of places where you may purchase your wood products from. The wet wood dries. It does not take a few months, usually about three weeks. Somebody like myself, or the person that is cleaning the wood is able to use a special tool to determine the level of dryness and if the time is correct to begin sealing. 

There are many simple sealants that will provide protection for new wood. Even the simplest Thompson's or Olympic product will provide true sealing properties. The idea behind sealants is to find a product that will protect moisture from infiltrating the inner core of the wood, causing rot and decay over time. Keeping moisture on the outside of the wood is key. But, finding a product for new wood that has protection against U.V. Rays and Mold and Mildew are very important factors. Yes, a simple, low cost container sealant will provide protection, but not all have protection against the elements. Do not wait too long before sealing new wood. If mold begins, the entire wood surface will need to be deep cleaned  with a bath of bleach before applying sealant. 
Personally, I like to use oil-based sealants on wood. Linseed oil is a natural wood conditioner that has been used for thousands of years on wooden boats to maintain and condition the wood. And, while I do like to use Olympic and Thompson's, I really like a product made by a company called Ready Seal. The oils in this product are exceptional. I absolutely like the natural look and colors available. Sherwin Williams and also Benjamin Moore offer wonderful, high-grade products that contain Linseed oil. 


I will write more about these products in my next blog, so please sign up for information about this blog site. Or, feel free to reach me by phone at (804)585-8016. Richmond, Va 23225

Please, email JSowell879@gmail.com



No comments: